Saturday, May 9, 2009

a wake up of rain

This morning I woke to the pouring of rain and the bang of thunder but this afternoon is delightfully sunny and joyful after an evening of celebrating the 81st year since Nana was born... Peggy and I had many moments of meditating on her life, reflecting on her unique character and we started a dance party at an Irish pub to honor her joy! I spent the morning at a doctor's clinic run by a group of nurses from China who told me to "pee-pee" in the washroom (i'm still dealing with immigration and need a medical clearence which is a long winded sob story I will not bore you all with as it is ALmost all done with and over) and then a stop with Peggy to the Greek bakery on the corner of my street which has the most intricate and beautifully smelling and asthetically pleasing pastaries and sweets I have every seen. I purchased what looked like my favorite desert (a layer of ricotta cheese yum) made by Aunt Helen Haddad but it was surely something different, shreded wheat soaked in honey with some nuts. still tasty.
The week at the hospital was incredibly overwhelming and fabulous every night I was so exhausted to spend a moment decompressing and debriefing to my new housemates and mom was about all that I had left before my head hit the pillow. And yesterday was the M.U.G. clinic which brought in children who have been treated at the hospital, most have gone through surgical procedures and all were born intersex. Almost every child was originally from a different country and their parents had sought refugee status for them as their physical anatomy deviated from the norm, their homeland country and the culture to which they lived did not perserve their safety....and quality of life expected to be very poor. And here they are in Toronto, receiveing some of the best care in the world! Oddly enough a Psychologist from Amsterdam arrived in Toronto around the same time as me for the same amount of time as well! She works at the clinic that I studied while I was in the Netherlands, with folks whose essays and books I've been reviewed and referencing for years, and came to Toronto to research and exptrapolate the positive practices used here. Pretty extroidinary. I have a few clients lined up for me, all young girls who were born intersex and are eager to start counseling which is a rare- to have completely volintary excited individuals- and for me for my first clients is so perfect and exciting. I absolutely love the hospital and I think it's also a rare find to want to attend rounds in the morning! it's always comical and enjoyable. my supervisor is absolutely amazing and what i learn from her is invaluable and precious. Unfortunately I have to leave on Monday to sort out immigration/work permit/temporary residency stuff but will then return I HOPE! because I don't want to leave AT ALL which I've literally never felt anywhere, anytime, in my whole life.

No comments: