Monday, June 4, 2012

We rounded the corner and he sensed it, smelled it, craved it. His intensity painted our steppings, which direction to follow? I led us home and he followed with ears up and neck straight not his typical comportment, not when there is no other dog in sight, squirrel scampering across the street, new friend to meet. He stood tense as I removed his collar and went into the closet to find his brush. He stood tense and cooperatively as I brushed him rough and loving pillows of hair billow in the cold wind on an unusual june 4th day. I often feel blessed in these moments of simplicity. helping my loving dog shed his winter coat, preparing for the summer that has come and gone and will come again as all things do. He patiently waited until he felt my satisfaction. And he bolted in his greyhoud speed to the opposite end of the driveway, my neighborhood called out to tell me it was a black cat he was trying to find and we watched him as he "innocently" searched in his untamed symmetry. I adore him. "Where's the cat? Where's the cat?". And he stares back at me with open eyes to swallow the everything that I want to pour into him. Like baby Gavin, his eyes wide and joyful, rubbing him belly and the belly of the character book, "Where's the cat? Where's the cat? meow meow".

No comments: