Saturday, March 20, 2010

The positive pelican push

moments of aloneness, some filled with opportunistic moment.
a van full of strangers returning home from trips around the world. a couple, newly engaged, returning from Disney World, glowing with settled, filled, visions of a home, fenced in, a dog, a new baby, a family to view their life as completed. myself, alone returning from a weekend with half my family. newly divided. feeling divided.
and a man sitting across an aisle of division. his smile big, his eyes pleased and genuine. the driver says, Mr. Thomas, we are please to have you with us. he says he tried to be a nobody, but he accepts her attention and appreciates her friendliness. I find I am sitting now, without an isle any longer, closed from conversation, a local celebrity, a news reporter for Detroit. he speaks about his love for his life, his job and the couple beams behind me. I beam for all their happinesss, everyone's. and he tells me to watch him on the television, I look him up on the internet. I find he is more than a happy, gifted and privileged news reporter. he is a struggling man. I learn about his story. Born an African American, now a disease, turning him white, slowly. Once an attractive man only noticeable for his smile and confidence, now noticeable for his atypical skin and fame. Watch, be inspired as I was, and learn of the privilege most of us have. solid skin color, solid to our existence.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/about_us/personalities/Lee_Thomas_Bio

No comments: