Wednesday, July 22, 2009

a trickle of wind, a pour of rain

And it hit me today that this fabulous experience, in Toronto is coming to a close. In just 2.5 weeks I will be saying goodbye and packing my things. I have never been so upset by an ending. Usually the last days of any experience, any home that dissipates, any change such as this creates an overwhelming sense of satisfaction in my heart and body. But perhaps it was the anticipation and the accomplishment- of reaching this goal, providing myself this experience that I wanted more than anything.... My liaison from Michigan told me recently that when I told her I was going to study in Toronto through the school of social work and design a placement for myself that had never been done by a student at UMICH she doubted me. But now she says, she thinks I can do anything and obtain anything if I want it enough. And I did want this enough and I still do. A feeling of satisfaction that does not dissipate or fade. The children and families that I must now say goodbye to have filled my heart with such passion and love for the goodness of people- it troubles me to think of goodbyes. But the first of many today as the Nigerian family boards the plane tomorrow leaving the family they created while here in the bounty of hope and prosperity. They fear the bleakness of the following days. This city energizes your muscles and strengthens your bones and I know this, will stay with me.
On August 12th I will fly to Kalowna, British Columbia with my friend from Toronto and travel to Nelson, a small town in the desert, a spirited town the Dalia Llama believes is now the center of the earth, and then travel to the Canadian Rockies to camp and hike and blissfully be. I will more than likely then head more west to Vancouver and Victoria to scope out the home-ability of the cities before I head back to the east- hopefully for a visit to Montreal and Vermont before school starts September 8th.
To all the time that passes and all the time that comes, the time that is now
is all that we have.

No comments: